Aviyal

I used to put all sort of vegetables while making aviyal, but one of my family friends told me a recipe which I find is much satisfying and tasty. I used to think I made a very tasty aviyal until I tasted the aviyal made by my friend.  So here is the recipe for you and a special thanks to my dear friend Nithya.


AVIYAL
Ingredients
1.       Snake Gourd (Padavalanga) - 1/4th of One
2.       Unripe Banana -  1 or 2 no
3.       Elephant Yam ( Cheina)– small piece
4.       Lesser Yam-( Cheymbu) –2 (small)
5.       Drumsticks ( Muringakka)- 1 no
6.       Eggplant (Vazhuthananga) – 2 (small)
7.       Cucumber/ Ash Gourd/ Bottle Gourd – small piece ( Optional)
8.       Carrot- 1/4th of One
9.       Potato- 1 (small)
10.   Coconut Shredded –  ¾ cup
11.   Curry leaves – few
12.   Green Chilly – 3 or 4
13.   Coconut Oil (recommended) – 2 or 3 Tbsp.
14.   Turmeric Powder- a pinch
15.   Salt- to taste
16.   Water – for boiling vegetables
Method
1.       Clean and  cut all the vegetables lengthwise and boil them in water in a wok
2.       In a grinder slightly crush the shredded coconut with the chilies with a pinch of turmeric powder
3.       Once the vegetables get half cooked and the water is about 80% vaporized add the mixture of coconut and keep the wok closed.
4.       Once the vegetables are completely cooked add needed salt and pour few drops of coconut oil on top and curry leaves in the end
5.       Yummy aviyal is ready, serve hot (Servings- 4 persons)

Tips: I use very little carrot because using too much of it can make the dish a bit sweet.
Then once you boil the vegetables make sure the water is completely absorbed, so put just enough water that will cover the vegetables. Drain excess water before putting the coconut mixture. Also if u want to keep the dish for more than a day avoid potatoes as they get spoiled easily.

Comments

Popular Posts